- 1 cup basmati rice or sona masoori rice or regular rice
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- ½ cup urad dal/black gram, skinned whole or skinned spilt
- ¼ cup poha/flattened rice
- ¼ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- water as required
- oil to apply to the idli moulds
- pick and wash both the rice and urad dal.
- soak the rice and poha in water for 4-5 hours.
- soak the urad dal with methi seeds separately for 4-5 hours.
- drain the soaked urad dal. reserve the water.
- grind the urad dal, methi seed with some of the reserved water till you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- grind the rice to make a smooth batter.
- mix both the batters together in a large bowl or pan. add salt and mix well.
- cover and let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours.
- after the fermentation process is over, the batter will become double in size and rise.
- gently mix the batter.
- grease the idli moulds.
- pour the batter in the moulds steam the idlis in a pressure cooker or steamer.
- if using pressure cooker remove the vent weight.whistle.
- steam for 10-12 mins or until the idlis are done.
- remaining batter can be stored in the refrigerator.
- serve the steaming hot idlis with coconut chutney and sambar.